Monday, August 15, 2011

Una Historia Pasada

After the clinic closed on Saturday, a few of us headed out to do a little shopping and get some lunch.  Teresa and I ended up in the central plaza sitting on a bench to "people watch" and rest my blistered toes (cobble stone streets and sidewalks really took a toll on my toes).  Along came a group of women and children.  We knew them…it was Norma, her mom and several ladies with their babies.  It was fun…a reunion!  They were so excited to see us.



They wanted me to take photos.  One problem this week has been that I would show them their picture on my LED screen but they wanted to take a photo home (whatever happened to Polaroid?).  Teresa tried to explain that that wasn’t possible and like magic along came an entrepreneurial hombre with a small point and shoot camera and what looked like a bag that you would have to keep a six pack of beer cold.  In the bag was a 12-volt battery and a very small printer.  I thought that we could do a group photo and I would pay for a copy for each.  They didn’t want a group shot…they wanted individual photos with Teresa and me.  It was like we were “rock” stars.  Suddenly we had drawn a crowd.  Guatemalans were watching the crazy gringos and their Mayan amigos.






Dr. Jann Johnson and Norma at closing clinic
Norma and her mother are headed back to their village.  She is a happy little girl.  She will need more surgery but the worst is over.



Sofia before sugery
Sofia in surgery
Sofia in recovery room
Sofia grabbing my finger a day after surgery

Sofia is thriving and will go back to the orphanage.  She is beautiful and I hope she finds loving parents.

This is the farewell blog.  I hope you have enjoyed my experience at Faces of Hope.  If I had a chance to go again I would jump at the opportunity.

Adios amigos


No comments:

Post a Comment