Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 2: Opening Clinic

waiting for registration



Today was a marathon of work and emotion.  We admitted 107 children for surgeries beginning tomorrow.  Registration begins with the taking of information (Teresa was the first person they met)...you know forms and more forms and a leg ID bracelet.  Then they proceed to the photo station.  That was me.  I took every child's photo to be matched up with their file.  Next they move on to be weighed.  The magic number is 10 lbs.  If they don't make weight they are automatically DQed.  Then vitals are taken.  After that I don't know because I never left my station for the whole day (you know when it's hot, you don't have to pee even if you are drinking water?).  My job was great...I got to interact with every child and parent eventhough my Spanish language skills are weak to say the least, but there are other ways to communicate.  They seem to know what you are saying.  Don was a roamer to help where needed.  He helped me a lot.  He can take a crying child and make them laugh.

Teresa at registration

Jerra taking file photos

Don and one of the many children he held today
my new grateful friend
After I took this little girls picture, she got up from the chair and came over to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek and a great big hug.  I was overwhelmed  These kids have been delt a very bad hand...but Faces of Hope is going to make it better for them.  I AM A ROTARIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow, surgeries begin at 7:30AM.  More to come...



1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring. I bet you go to bed at night feeling tired but very warm inside.

    ReplyDelete