Saturday, August 13, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness and Closing Clinic

I really wanted to post everyday, but I missed yesterday.  So many things to do, so little time and I'm just plain pooped.  Over the past several days, we (Don, Teresa and I in the name of Cupertino Rotary) have given $250 to three worthy causes in the name of "Ramdom Act of Kindness".

Tessa Limited
Most cleft palate/lip babies are unable to nurse so their parents give them just water, coffee or soda because they can't afford to buy the milk.  The result is a very malnourished baby.  Tessa Limited provides milk to those who can't afford to buy it.  Malnourished babies are not good candidates for surgery.  Our contribution will help many babies recieve milk and in time be strong enough for the surgery to fix their lips or palates or both.

Casa de Fe
I spent a fair amount of time at Casa de Fe and saw first hand what a great job they do in providing support for the families of the surgery patients.

Partners in Surgery
Partners in Surgery is a rural outreach program.  They seek out kids that are miles away from any kind of help for their cleft palates/lips.  They make sure that they are able to get to Antigua to get help.  They provide ongoing health education to these families.

Today was closing clinic.  The kids and their families come see the surgeon and the peditricians and get their final checkout.  By now the kids are feeling better and you can begin to see the results of the surgeries.  It is a happy time.  We leave tomorrow morning and I'll be back home late tomorrow night.  This has been an unbelievable experience.  There wasn't a day that I didn't have to stop and compose myself.  Tears come easily when you see the pain or joy of these kids and their parents.  I'm grateful that I'm a Cupertino Rotarian.  It has given me a chance to get to know Teresa and Don on a whole different level.

Here are a few of my favorite photos.















before

after

1 comment:

  1. Jerra, It has been great following along. These last set of pictures are FANTASTIC, can't wait to hear more about the trip. Have a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete